Flowers are the essence of a plant, just as love is the essence of life.
Flowers bring tenderness, color, fragrance, freshness, beauty and love to life.
Flowers have the capacity to balance our hormones and can be emotionally uplifting. Ayurveda states flowers are the purest form of Prana (life force), Ojas (nectar of life) and Tejas (pure light of life).
Many flowers hold a medicinal value.
Roses offer more than just a pretty face. They can be used in many healing ways! Roses have been used as medicine in the Middle East, Persia, India and Asia for centuries. In Ayurveda, roses are considered to be: good for pitta pacification, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, diuretic and a skin cleanser. Nutritionally, they contain Vitamin C, pectin, malic acid, and citric acid.
Here are more ways to use roses for healing:
- Chewing rose petals clears toxins and heat from the body.
- Rose tea fights infection in the digestive tract and re-establishes normal bacterial levels in the intestines.
- Drinking rose infusions relieves fluid retention and assists the elimination of wastes through the kidneys.
- Rose jams are a wonderful remedy for dysentery, diarrhea and gastroenteritis.
- Rose decoctions cleanse the liver and gall bladder and promote the flow of bile.
- Rose petal tea can be used to relieve uterine congestion that causes pain and heavy menstrual flow. It is an excellent remedy for irregular periods and infertility.
- Rose essential oils have an uplifting effect on the nervous system and can relieve insomnia, depression and fatigue.
- Rose water is a natural skin cleanser and make up remover.
by Ismat Nathani, Founder & Director CAISH-Education
Doctor of Natural Medicine, Ayurvedic Health Consultant